PAPPADAM (പപ്പടം ) is a crispy wafer-thin bread which is a must in every Kerala Sadhya.
- Soda-Bicarb – 35gm
- Split Black Gram(Uzhunnu Parippu) -1 Kg
- Salt – As Required
- Asafoetida (Perungayam) – 1 Tea Spoon
Method of Preparation
- Grind split black gram finely into a flour.
- Add soda-bicarb, asafoetida and salt (flavors like black pepper, garlic or chilly etc could be used).
- Make a hard dough by adding water and knead it for some time.
- Roll out into 7” diameter thin round shape.
- Dry it in the sunlight well.
Method Of Cooking
- Heat oil in a large wok.
- When it comes nearly smoking, reduce the heat and drop in pappadam.
- It will instantly change color. The whole process takes seconds so have slotted spoon and paper-towel lined plate ready.
- Do not allow pappadam to turn brown or black.
- Drain the pappadam well and remove to a plate.
- Serve hot.