SHARKKARA PAYASAM (ശർക്കരപായസം )is a traditional and classic preparation from Kerala. It is commonly named as Prasadam / Nivedyam in temples of Kerala. It is made with rice, jaggery and ghee. Other than Palada, shakkara payasam is a common payasam dish of malayalee. It is an important part of Onam and Onasadhya.
- 1 Cup Unakkalari/Parboiled Rice (The Red Grain With Bran) Soaked In Cold Water For 30 Minutes
- 1/2 Cup water
- 400 gm jaggery
- 3/4 Cup thick Coconut Milk (thala paal)
- 1.5 Cup Thin Coconut Milk (randaam paal)
- 2 and 1/4 Cup Very Thin Coconut Milk (moonaam paal)
- 2 Table Spoon ghee
- 1/2 Tea Spoon cardamom powder or 2 cardamoms crushed
- 1/2 Tea Spoon dry ginger powder/chukku podi
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut( thenga kothu)
- Handful of cashews and raisin(unakka munthiri)
- Cook the soaked rice (parboiled rice needs more time) in a pressure cooker with very thin coconut milk.Once the whistle comes, reduce the flame and cook for another 10-12 minutes.
- Boil the Jaggery in a deep span with 1/2 cup water and make a syrup of one thread consistency.
- When the pressure release open the lid of pressure cooker and add the Jaggery syrup. Bring it to a boil and add the ghee.
- Now pour the thin milk and boil. Cook in medium heat till payasam gets bit thick. Pour the thick milk and just heat it. Don’t boil , sprinkle the cardamom and dry ginger powder. Switch off the stove.
- Heat ghee in a small pant and fry the chopped coconut ,cashews and raisin till light brown.Pour this mixture over the payasam.(While resting the payasam is to go thick more)
- Serve With Specified Dish