THEEYAL (തീയൽ ) is another one of the Kerala gravy made using fried coconut and spices. It is a traditional dish of Kerala people.The gravy has a nice aroma of roasted coconut and tastes heavenly.
- Pearl Onions/shallots sliced into thin pieces- 10 – 15 nos
- Grated Coconut-1/2 cup
- Tamarind -small lemon sized
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 Tea Spoon
- Coriander Powder- 2 Tea Spoon
- Cumin Powder -1/2 Tea Spoon
- Pepper Powder -1/2 Tea Spoon
- Turmeric Powder-1/4 Tea Spoon
- Asafoetida(Kaayam)- a pinch
- Fenugreek Powder(Uluvappodi)- a pinch
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 Tea Spoon
- Curry Leaves – A few
- Whole red chillies – 2 No
- Sugar -a pinch(optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – as needed
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of hot water and take the extract from it.
- Heat 1 table spoon of oil in a deep pan and fry coconut briefly over high heat till it gets brown.
- Add chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, pepper powder and turmeric powder and stir till it gives an tasty aroma.
- Be sure to simmer it, thus preventing masalas from getting burned too much.
- Grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat 2 table spoon of oil and add mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies and allow it to splutter.
- Add shallots,asafoetida, salt and fenugreek powder into it, and saute for some time .
- Add tamarind extract into it and allow it to boil for 2-4 minutes, add water if necessary.
- Now add the ground paste and sugar into it and simmer for further 3-5 minutes.
- Serve hot.